Blog Archive

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Sad GMC and Sadder Oldsmobile

What do you think at first glance, a 1960s Ford bucket truck?


Me too, until I got closer and looked over the vine-entangled chain link fence and saw the GMC

I believe it is a GMC 7000, probably early to mid 1960s. I really like the sad headlight surrounds the wraparound windshield, and the echos of the missile shape carried over from the smaller GMC models on the doors. It's also a nice touch to have the hood open in sections.
A 1958-60 Ford dump truck lurks way back in the decay of an old steel mill.
Just next door to the GMC is this 1950 Oldsmobile 98 four-door fastback.
It has the same sad droopy shapes under the headlights as the GMC. I wonder if the owner is depressed, because his vehicles look it.
This car looks in decent condition so it boggles my mind why the window is open.
Next to it are a Jaguar XJ6, Mercedes 220 (I think) and a late 1980s Cadillac
With a very rare fastback body, this rare rocket Olds deserves a caring home. I will have to stop by and track down the owner before it passes the point of being savable. I am always curious why people buy cars and them allow them to sit. Usually they are projects that the person has no time for, but if I had a decaying steel mills, now used for recycling, I would move any vehicles I had inside out of the elements, especially something as unusual as a fastback Oldsmobile. The Jag and Merc look in fair condition as well, and the three newer vehicles represent a pretty hefty chunk of change that someone spent in the late 1980s.