Blog Archive

Thursday, May 9, 2013

Lost Lincoln and Broken Buick

This 69-71 Lincoln Mk III (I think 1970, but there are few changes between the years) is still solid, but seems to have been beaten around recently.
All Mk IIIs had a 365 hp 460 V8, capable of propelling this large personal luxury car to 60 in around 10 seconds while doing so in quiet and unstressed comfort.
The spare tire hump is purely decorative, but harks back to the 1930s and 40s when Lincolns were shamelessly unpractical.
Dual exhausts were standard also.
This one shows some battle scars. Inside is very dark and it is hard to see to the corners.
Some child probably has the letters from the trunk.
Next to it, in similarly attired (sorry) condition is this 1963 Buick LeSabre.
The Lincoln is not huge but about the same length as the then-midsize Buick.
I love the vacuum-powered headlight doors. Remarkable they are closed, meaning that the system still holds pressure.
I love the 1963 models because they were still shedding the fin but had not lost it entirely. It's so understated and clean.
This is a really great-looking car. Built to take on the Eldorado, it was very popular for Lincoln.
Not too good, but not impossible to repair.
I believe those hubcaps are from a 1960 Buick, but I could be mistaken. This dark orange and white color scheme must have been killer.
Not sure if this is a new anti-theft method, but no one will be driving this Buick until the wheel is replaced.

The front looks complete but for one headlight surround. Here's to hoping it's in the trunk somewhere.

I love the matching wheels as well.

The Lincoln has matching maroon leather. I'm almost certain this is a 1970 model.
They were parked outside this shop in Girard
This early to mid 80s Olds Delta 88 used to be a common sight on the roads, but I haven't seen one in a while up here in the rust belt. I always thought the coupe was a good-looking car.
What's behind this fence? Same location...
1970 Buick Electra  -could it be a convertible under that tarp? I think so. I didn't feel right peeking over fences, so no further pictures right now. I love this style of Buick though - these big convertibles are great cruisers.
As for the Lincoln and 63 Buick? I think they were recently pulled from long-term storage, judging by the condition of the tires and the overall feel of them. I'm sure the right offer would move them into your driveway, but I'm sure the shop wants to maximize profit, so they won't come cheap.